NYU Grossman School of Medicine is one of the nation's top-ranked medical schools. For 175 years, NYU Grossman School of Medicine has trained thousands of physicians and scientists who have helped to shape the course of medical history and enrich the lives of countless people. An integral part of NYU Langone Health, the Grossman School of Medicine at its core is committed to improving the human condition through medical education, scientific research, and direct patient care. At NYU Langone Health, equity, diversity, and inclusion are fundamental values. We strive to be a place where our exceptionally talented faculty, staff, and students of all identities can thrive. We embrace diversity, inclusion, and individual skills, ideas, and knowledge. For more information, go to med.nyu.edu, and interact with us on LinkedIn, Glassdoor, Indeed, Facebook, Twitter and Instagram.
We have an exciting opportunity to join our team as a Faculty Group Practice Patient Care Assistant(35).
In this role, the successful candidate The Faculty Group Practice Patient Care Assistant (PCA) assists with administrative and patient care responsibilities to support efficient practice workflows. The responsibilities include reception, registration and answering phones as well as escorting patients and completing clinical tasks within NYS scope of practice as needed.
- Greets patients and completes check-in and check-out processes as needed
- Answers phones and schedules appointments
- Addresses questions or routes calls/messages to appropriate contact
- Supports efficient patient workflows by escorting patients to exam rooms and preparing rooms for provider visit
- Validates patient medical record per FGP guidelines when accessing and/or updating information
- Takes vital signs and records in Electronic Medical Record
- Assists with the collection of lab specimens
- Supports FGP access and quality initiatives
- Performs other duties as needed
- Completes necessary intake which includes obtaining patient vital signs and other tests within defined scope of practice as needed.
- Follows guidelines for validating patient medical record when accessing and updating information, including patient name and date of birth.
- Assists with maintaining patient flow to and from exam/treatment rooms. Assists in escorting patients and specimens throughout the facility.
- Ensures exam rooms and treatment areas are cleaned per infection control standards after each patient.
- Communicates the functionality and purpose of MyChart to patients during intake
- Ensures the appropriate translation services or equipment is in place prior to the start of visit
- Preps the appropriate patient encounter ensuring that all relevant information for visit is up-to-date including bloodwork, radiology images, medications, and past medical history.
- Reviews and imports any “Prepare for your Visit”, “Outside Information” and patient history prior to provider encounter
- Works with clinical team to ensure logbooks related to equipment, specimen collection and other clinical safety measures are followed per FGP standards.
- Maintains patient privacy as it relates to HIPPA standards.
- Handles appropriate patient calls and documents outcome of all patient communications as needed.
- Assists with in-basket message management including any necessary tasks related to patient medical advice requests as per best practices
- Utilizes EPIC functionality to review and update patient records as well as maintain communication with peers and supervisors related to patient care
- Assists providers with procedure and/or set-up according to specialty
- Stocks exam/treatment rooms and/or supply closets with medical supplies, linen and medical equipment as needed. Effectively communicates as supplies need to be replenished.
- Cleans and sterilizes designated equipment after use, according to FGP, IPC, and manufacturer’s standards
- Supports FGP Clinical Quality Management by facilitating appropriate documentation and maintenance of clinical supplies and equipment.
- Reviews appropriate downtime procedures as it relates to patient visit
- Completes annual competencies such as Fire Safety, Hazardous Waste, Medsled, HIPPA compliance, etc.
- Responsible for greeting patients and performing intake functions including registration, forms collection, updating information, and co-payment collection.
- Monitors Department Appointment Report (DAR) for checkmate “kick-outs”, appointment notes, insurance flags, and/or patients who need further assistance. .
- Gathers all patient demographic related data and materials from patients and/or their representatives. Obtains insurance information (ID card, member/group #s, etc.), verifies insurance eligibility electronically and collects insurance referral if applicable.
- Advises and/or collects patient and financial related documents and policies for patient visits including HIPAA, NOPP, MSPQ, ABN, Non-Participating, etc. including obtaining signatures where appropriate.
- Enrolls patients above the age of 5 to Patient Secure by obtaining the palm scan and a photo.
- Promotes the utilization of Check Mate kiosks. Greets and assists patient in using the checkmate kiosk when needed.
- Scans all necessary documents into Epic. Follows scanning guidelines and best practices for uploading outside documents- results, records, forms, etc. Ensures scanned documents are scanned to the correction location/order in Epic and with the correct document type to facilitate ease of locating documents reports errors or issues arising from checkmate kiosk, patient secure devices, or other equipment to management to facilitate timely resolution
- Monitors waiting areas to identify and communicate wait times
- Performs check-out functions including providing after visit summary information, scheduling follow-up visits and referrals, and collecting any time-of-service payments as needed.Promotes the use and sign-up of MyChart
- Answers phone calls and requests in a professional and patient friendly manner.
- Schedules routine appointments and follow ups for visits.
- On subsequent visits or calls, asks patients to verify demographic info and makes any necessary edits. Collects and/or asks patients to sign any missing patient related information.
- Answers patient questions to ensure understanding and patient satisfaction. Refers them, when necessary, to senior level staff or billing representative.
- Addresses patients and callers in pleasant and a professional manner while screening and/or handling calls. Takes messages or directs caller to appropriate person or area.
- Releases medical records in accordance with HIPPA and FGP ROI guidelines. Documents disclosures in EPIC and fulfills requests within a 10 day timeframe.
- Maintains patient privacy as it relates to HIPPA standards.
- Refers all inquiries regarding pre-authorizations/certifications to the appropriate person or area.
- Monitors and completes patient front-end work queues to address any pre or post visit missing information in a timely manner.
- Monitors and completes assigned administrative in basket messages in a timely manner and according to practice guidelines.
- Remains current on latest best practices, policies and protocols (including workflow updates, FOCUS trainings, and job-related tasks)
- Maintains cleanliness of both personal and patient space, including waiting areas and restocks supplies as needed.
- Demonstrates knowledge of the organization’s service standards and incorporates them into the performance duties.
- Provides material such as forms and letters for appropriate patient and/or provider needs.
- Maintains cooperative and professional relationships with physicians, nurses and office and clinical staff as well as access center representatives when applicable.
- Exercises skill in prioritizing assignments in order to complete work in a timely manner when there are changes in workload, assignments, pressures of deadlines, competitive requirements and/or heavy workload.
- Demonstrates communication skills: Using appropriate vocabulary and grammar when obtaining and conveying information to physicians, nurses and staff at various levels; in person, over the phone, in writing and in electronically sent messages.
- Performs other related duties as needed by providers and supervisors.
Patient Experience and Access
- Serves as NYU Langone Health Faculty Group Practice Brand Ambassador by upholding the NYULH Mission, vision and values and promoting excellence in the patient experience, during every encounter.
- Drives consistency in every patient and colleague encounter by embodying the core principles of our FGP Service Strategy CARES (Connect, Align, Respond, Ensure, and Sign-Off)
- Greets patients warmly and professionally, stating name and role, and clearly communicates each step of the care/interaction as appropriate
- Works collaboratively with colleagues and site management to ensure a positive experience and timely resolution for all patient interactions and inquiries whether in person, by phone or via electronic messaging.
- Proactively anticipates patient needs, and participates in service recovery by applying the LEARN model (Listen, Empathize, Apologize, Resolve, Notify), and escalates to leadership as appropriate.
- Shares ideas or any observed areas of opportunity, to improve patient experience and patient access, with appropriate leadership. (i.e. ways to optimize provider schedules, how to minimize delays, increase employee engagement, etc.)
- Partners with Patient Access Center and Central Billing Office team members to support collaboration and promote a positive patient experience.
- Takes a proactive approach in ensuring that practice staff are fully versed in the Access Agreement gold standard principles.
To qualify you must have a Minimum Qualifications:
High school graduate or equivalent required. Competencies: Working knowledge of English is evident in verbal, reading and writing abilities; other language an asset; demonstrated ability in computer skills. Minimum of one year of experience as a Patient Care Assistant or Medical Assistant within the last two years. Ability to complete multiple tasks efficiently and thrive in a team work environment which pursues a positive patient care experience.
Medical Assistant certification preferred. Proficiency in venipuncture and phlebotomy preferred. Ambulatory medical setting front office experience preferred.
Qualified candidates must be able to effectively communicate with all levels of the organization.
NYU Grossman School of Medicine provides its staff with far more than just a place to work. Rather, we are an institution you can be proud of, an institution where you'll feel good about devoting your time and your talents.
NYU Grossman School of Medicine is an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer committed to diversity and inclusion in all aspects of recruiting and employment. All qualified individuals are encouraged to apply and will receive consideration without regard to race, color, gender, gender identity or expression, sex, sexual orientation, transgender status, gender dysphoria, national origin, age, religion, disability, military and veteran status, marital or parental status, citizenship status, genetic information or any other factor which cannot lawfully be used as a basis for an employment decision. We require applications to be completed online.
If you wish to view NYU Grossman School of Medicine's EEO policies, please click here. Please click here to view the Federal "EEO is the law" poster or visit https://www.dol.gov/ofccp/regs/compliance/posters/ofccpost.htm for more information.
NYU Langone Health provides a salary range to comply with the New York City Law on Salary Transparency in Job Advertisements. The salary range for the role is $49,348.00 - $49,348.00 Annually. Actual salaries depend on a variety of factors, including experience, specialty, education, and hospital need. The salary range or contractual rate listed does not include bonuses/incentive, differential pay or other forms of compensation or benefits.
To view the Pay Transparency Notice, please click here