Pay Rate: $28.04Hr Announcement:
PRIDE Industries is a fast-paced company with a mission: To Create Jobs for People with Disabilities while providing high quality, value-added solutions to our nationwide customers. We are currently recruiting to fill the following position:
Job: HVAC Mechanic I
Job Code: G36 - RU-HVAC Mechanic
SCA Occup: 23410 Heating, Ventilation, and AC Mechanic
Salary Grade: Federal Wage Determination or Collective Bargaining Agreement
FLSA Status: Non-Exempt
Approval Date: March 2017
Under general supervision, the HVAC Mechanic performs a variety of technical tasks related to installing, maintaining and repairing heating, cooling, ventilation and related systems.
1. * Follows procedures, regulations and guidelines while minimizing errors and safety risks;
2. Mounts compressor and condenser units, uses hand and metalworking tools and welding equipment, follows blueprints or engineering specifications;
3. Fabricates, assembles and installs ductwork and chassis parts;
4. Installs evaporator units in chassis or in air-duct systems;
5. * Installs expansion and discharge valves in circuit. Installs humidifiers into system and connects water and drain pipes. Installs new units or replacement parts for existing units according to specifications and established safety guidelines.
6. * Cuts and bends tubing to correct length and shape, using cutting and bending equipment and tools. Cuts and threads pipe, using machine-threading or hand-threading equipment. Joins tubing or pipes to various refrigerating units by means of sleeves, couplings or unions, and solders joints, using torch, forming complete circuit for refrigerant.
7. * May install, repair and service air conditioners, ranging from 15 to 20 tons cooling capacity. Monitors and inspects heating and cooling systems to ensure continued proper operation.
8. * Investigates problems and performs repairs on various mechanical and electrical equipment in heating, cooling and ventilation systems.
9. * Performs preventative maintenance on heating and cooling systems. Observes pressure and vacuum gauges and adjusts controls to insure proper operation. Replaces defective breaker controls, thermostats, switches, fuses and electrical wiring to repair installed units. Tests joints and connections for gas leaks, using gauges or soap-and-water solution. Assesses drain problems and performs any needed repairs.
10. * Connects motors, compressors, temperature controls, humidity controls, and circulating ventilation fans to control panels and connects control panels to power source.
11. * Determines amount of airflow required to keep carbon dioxide at a safe level and ensures it is maintained.
12. * Locates, picks up, and delivers parts required for department needs.
13. * Assists in monitoring the work of journeyman or new HVAC mechanics by providing instruction and reviewing completed projects.
14. * May prepare work sketches and assist in the design and specifications of planned work.
15. Frequent travel between facilities is required.
16. Performs other duties and special projects as assigned.
Denotes Essential Job Function
- One year of work experience in HVAC/refrigeration equipment installation, repair and maintenance;
- Knowledge of refrigeration theory, pipefitting, and structural layout required.
- Knowledge of commercial mechanical and electrical systems, and ability to read and understand blueprints;
- Requires knowledge of regulations regarding HVAC including environmental and indoor air quality, and skilled HVAC work, with attention to safe practices.
- Knowledge of local, state and federal regulations regarding HVAC repair and maintenance for occupied spaces;
- Ability to manage and accurately track material resources and time, and adapt to changing work priorities;
- Ability to estimate time and materials, and manage resources;
- Demonstrated organizational, problem-solving and common sense skills;
- Ability to work safely;
- Customer service skills to act responsively to customer inquiries and requests; and escalate the more difficult matters appropriately;
- Communication skills to provide procedural and factual information, and to follow instructions;
- Flexibility to build effective working relationships with staff, customers and others;
- Ability to travel to various facilities, and to work independently and as a team.
High School Diploma or GED
CERTIFICATES OR LICENSES REQUIRED:
The following licenses or certificates may be required depending on local, state and/or contract requirements:
Valid Driver's License
Employees must have the ability to perform the following physical demands for extended periods of time with or without assistance:
Maneuvering to, in, and around equipment
- Bending, kneeling, stooping and reaching
- Climbing stepstools or ladders.
- Lifting and moving heavy equipment up to 35 pounds
- Climbing ladders to gain access to rooftop equipment
- Monitoring computer systems and control displays
Work is performed at a customer’s location in office, shop, warehouse, or outdoor environment. May require driving to and from worksite locations. Equipment can be located in crawl spaces, rooftops, and outside facility. Employees may be exposed to hazardous and/or toxic substances, electrical shock, noise from equipment, and depending on external weather conditions, wind, rain, cold, and heat.
The above information on this description has been designed to indicate the general nature and level of work performed by employees within this classification. It is not designed to contain or be interpreted as a comprehensive inventory of all duties, responsibilities, and qualifications required of employees to this job. Employees are expected to follow their supervisor’s instructions and to perform the tasks requested by their supervisors.
At PRIDE, we make a difference in the lives of many, one job at a time.
How to Apply:
If you are interested in working for this unique organization that blends business with a social mission, please apply online at www.prideindustries.com.PRIDE Industries is a VEVRAA federal contractor committed to creating a diverse environment and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, marital status, genetics, disability, age, or veteran status. Visit our website to learn more!
PRIDE will not discharge or in any other manner discriminate against employees or applicants because they have inquired about, discussed, or disclosed their own pay or the pay of another employee or applicant. However, employees who have access to the compensation information of other employees or applicants as a part of their essential job functions cannot disclose the pay of other employees or applicants to individuals who do not otherwise have access to compensation information, unless the disclosure is (a) in response to a formal complaint or charge, (b) in furtherance of an investigation, proceeding, hearing, or action, including an investigation conducted by the employer, or (c) consistent with the contractor’s legal duty to furnish information. 41 CFR 60-1.35(c)
PRIDE will consider for employment all qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with the requirements of all federal, state, and local laws.